Who is this workshop for?
For Trustees, volunteers and employees of charities and not-for-profit organisations especially those tasked with website maintenance, content management or communications in general.
Aimed at people who want to make the right decision about how to proceed with a new or developing web presence, but who would like an overview of the options currently available.
This session is free to Hunts Forum or Cambridge CVS members: Non-member organisations are charged at £60.00 per ticket. This workshop will give you an overview of the various options (from Wix through two main WordPress options to a completely hand-coded bespoke site) faced by charities and community groups today. It will give you the vocabulary and tools to plan your approach, talk with designers and developers, avoid going for overkill and find the right solution for your organisation’s needs. We will cover:
- Website basics – why you might need one, and when you (occasionally) might not.
- What to consider before getting to the technical questions – How will you look after the site? Who will udpate it? Who will manage the way it integrates with other communition methods you’re using (newsletters, social media, leaflets, etc)? How much time can you realistically commit to updating and looking after the site?
- Overview of the three main options you’ll need to choose between:
- all-in-one packages such as wix, squarespace and wordpress.com that provide hosting, design, and content management systems under one roof.
- WordPress.org, an open source content management system you can get for free, but for which you need to (separately) buy hosting and organise the design for.
- bespoke and semi-bespoke options including bespoke layouts/themes in WordPress.org, getting in a designer/developer team to produce a fully bespoke site from scratch, tailoring a content management system to your specific needs.
- Narrowing down which may be the right options for your organisation and working out what you need to investigate further to make a final decision.
- How you can plan ahead and anticipate changes you may need to make as your organisation develops, and choose an option now that can adapt well over time.
The world of website design and the array of choices you face can be baffling, so the workshop will include a ‘jargon buster’ element. No question is too silly and no answer is too obvious – bring queries and concerns along.
Elisabeth Klaar [https://www.linkedin.com/in/elisabeth-klaar-a211b6/], freelancer at Oak Tree Studio [https://www.oaktreestudio.co.uk] who has a background in marketing and fundraising in a variety of sectors including third sector, higher education and small and medium enterprises.
The training will take place at the Cambridge Online training suite:
Hester Adrian Centre
01223 300407 or 0845 458 0192
If you have any problems please contact us on 01223 464696 or email email@example.com
Please note by booking on this event you agree to abide by the CCVS cancellation policy
This session is funded by Cambridge City Council: To book a space click here.