The Community Literacy Project is now up and running across Cambridgeshire.
Cambridgeshire County Council are going to be working with people from communities who are keen to support children and their families to achieve better outcomes in terms of language and literacy development.
The Project is keen to learn about the changes that people would like to see in their local communities in order to improve language and literacy skills. They want to support local people to build on their own capacity to meet the needs of those living in their communities.
Funding will be available for local community groups from each of the project areas to set up activities which meet one of the projects aims.
The key aims of the project are to:
- Improve parental awareness, knowledge and confidence of their role as primary educator in supporting their child’s language and literacy development, in order to improve in the home learning environment (children aged 0-6).
- Increase the awareness, knowledge and confidence of the Early Years workforce in identifying and supporting communication, language and literacy development of children.
- To increase the awareness, knowledge and confidence of local community and county-wide organisations and Partners (e.g. speech and language therapy, health visitors, GPs, housing officers, midwives, children’s centre staff, library staff, Job Centre Plus and voluntary sector organisations) in identifying and supporting children, parents/carers and wider community members, with language and literacy needs.
The application process for bids to the Community Literacy Project Fund will be explained at our upcoming Community Literacy Project Launch Events.
The launch events aim to bring community members together to:
- Find out more about the project, its aims and objectives.
- Network with each other.
- Help to identify local need.
- Map existing provision and identify any gaps in service delivery.
- Provide examples of activities running in other project areas across the UK.
The launch events will be held at:
- Huntingdon Library, Princes Street, Huntingdon, PE29 3PA on the 30th April 2018 between 12.30pm and 2.30pm.
- Wisbech Library, 5 Ely Place, Wisbech, PE13 1EU on the 3rd May 2018 between 12.30pm and 2.30pm.
- March Library, City Road, March, PE15 9LT (for both March and Chatteris) on the 8th May 2018 between 12.30pm and 2.30pm.
- Brown’s Field Youth and Community Centre, 31a Green End Road, Cambridge, CB4 1RU on the 11th May between 12.30pm and 2.30pm.
Please note – Attendance at this event is by invitation only. Numbers will be restricted to one person per organisation as the County are expecting a high level of interest. To book please click on the link below:
The events can be found at the bottom of this page by clicking on the book button alongside the heading Community Literacy Project. The booking code for these events is WORDS18. If you have any queries about your booking, please phone 01223 706349 or email firstname.lastname@example.org .